19 July 2007

Customer Service

My mom sent me this great email:


When you call Customer Service and speak to someone in India and you can't understand him/her, perhaps it's a fault in the wiring?


I must admit, I've never actually seen anything even approaching this bad while I've been here. However, it does remind me a lot of the descriptions in Suketu Mehta's book, Maximum City: Bombay Lost and Found. (I recommend this book for anyone who is familiar with India.) He describes taking a flat in Bombay (Mumbai) and how each tenant had brought in a new electrician to completely rewire the flat. I'm sure you can imagine how tangled up and patched together things would end up being after several tenants. He also describes how the slums and other poor communities tap into electricity sources. I imagine that it would eventually end up looking something like this.

2 comments:

  1. Sadly I am sure I've seen worse in my travels in India. I remember watching a box on the electrical polls on fire in Raxaul, Bihar. That was pretty interesting, and scary.

    Seriously I never had any doubts as to why there were so many blackouts in that place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure the world we live in is more complicated and the little brain inside the skull has much more complex WIRING but we still tend to live a perfect life!!!

    Are you surprised or just puzzled?

    Also let mom know that if she is hears choppy voice or some kind of static that could be a cable fault but if she does not UNDERSTAND the person who she is talking to its the trainer who should be blamed :) … No personal offense intended ;)

    ReplyDelete