22 July 2007

Thanjavur

One of the first things that I did when I got back to India was take a train journey to Thanjavur (pronounced Tanjore) to attend Log's friend's brother's wedding. I do not recommend flying for 20+ hours and then, within 48 hours, taking a 12+ hour train ride to attend a major function in a small town. Beware if you do so, because you might end up looking like this:

And the people there will look at you like this:



I actually don't remember much about the ceremony. (Not that I knew what was going on most of the time anyway!) But, after I was able to rest, we were able to visit the famous Bragatheeswarar Temple (The Big Temple). It hosts one of the largest statues of Nandhi, the bull ridden by Shiva (the destroyer/transformer). Then it was again time to get on the train and head back to Chennai.

4 comments:

  1. Lori....Your blog is amazing....Your survival skills are amazing..:) I have been brought up in Chennai for past 24 years and am now living in the US for 2 years...Am able to empathize the difficut of living as a foreigner in a country 24 hr away from home.... Btw your top 30 things you like abt India rock!

    Keep blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, good to see pictures and hear of your adventures. Glad Heather has a link to your blog on hers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey you look pretty in the blue salwaar kameez :-) What is that colorful stuff on your hand btw??

    ReplyDelete
  4. no updates! I'm tired visiting your blog everyday!!!!Alive???

    ReplyDelete