01 November 2005

Lines/Queues-Part 2

So it has been a whirlwind time since I have been back in Chennai. I have many posts to write, but I'm trying to keep everything in order. Since I have been back, I have been assigned to work the morning shift (UGH!) Most of you can probably imagine how much work I actually get done starting at 8:00 AM. I've discovered this malt beverage called Boost that is helping me get through my mornings, but it was a hard adjustment-particularly since working night would've kept me on a similar schedule from being in the US. :)

But, what I really want to rant about first is my experiences flying back. Not that I want start a huge debate like the last time I brought up a similar topic. When I boarded my first leg of the British Airways flight in Chicago, they began boarding in a nice, organized fashion. First, they boarded people who needed assistance and families with young children. Second, the first class and premier world (or whatever.) Then, they began general boarding starting from the rear of the plane. Very organized. However, when I boarded the flight from London to Chennai, it was quite a different matter. First of all, they stuck us at a gate that was quite far from the main terminal-down a maze of hallways. Also, the PA system didn't work there, so even though they attempted to announce that the plane was delayed, it was ineffective. [I only heard it because I was at the counter verifying my boarding pass.] When the plane did arrive and boarding began, there was absolutely no organization; the British Air staff didn't even try! One woman began only boarding the passengers with small children and then ones who needed more time...but she didn't even say that out loud, just sent people away. The other line just started boarding general boarding, regardless of where your seat was in the plane. It was mass pandemonium-people were just headed en masse up to the ticket counter!

This is the second time similar incidences have occurred while flying to India on British Air. Has British Airways given up on trying to get Indians to board in an orderly fashion? Is this subtle discrimination? Or, is it an example of exemplary customer service in accommodating their Indian customers?

The fun part was, though, watching all of the other foreign tourists get annoyed with the Indians who tried to cut in line at customs. I think I've decided that the customs counter in the Madras airport is the only place where having white skin is not an advantage-the Indians go through much quicker than the foreigners do! (Yes, yes, I know the opposite is true when I hit customs in the US!) :)

1 comment:

  1. My flight back stopped in Germany. I laughed quite a bit at their attempts to board in an orderly fashion. About every 15 seconds they announced again that they were boarding ONLY certain people or rows. They were telling people, no, wait till we call your row. I almost said something to them when it came my turn to board. Somthing like, that's just the way it is is India, thanks for trying. They did a good job I thought.

    ReplyDelete