29 April 2005

A mobile phone?

So Monday I decided it was time for me to get a mobile phone. One week without being able to contact people was enough for me. A couple of the other trainers had a lot of trouble with the company Airtel representative, so decided to forgo that route and go off on my own. Luckily I started asking questions to one of the other native trainers and he obligingly offered to help me in my quest. First, we went to buy the phone. I now have a nice, girly looking phone-the Nokia 2300-nicely pink and purple. I'm happy with it, but I miss my LG!!! :) Of course you don't buy the plans (I planned on getting a pre-paid plan) at the same place you get the phones. So, we went to another local store to get the SIM (connection) card. (This is where you actually get your number assigned.) But, you need to have proof of residency to purchase one (so that you're not a terrorist?) . Initially, they said a copy of my passport would do; however, the a US Passport does not include an address. So I needed a copy of my drivers license...which was back at my apartment. (Why would I carry it arround? I can't drive in India!) We headed back to my apartment to pick up the driver's license. (Keep in mind here that we had to make copies of the passport and the driver's license at small copy stores for each item.) Finally we arrived at the Airtel office in Velachery and provided all the necessary documentation, picked out a phone number and activated it. I needed a picture to put with the application (which I left back at my apartment) but luckily they waived that requirement. Phew. :)

Yea! So after all that I now have a mobile phone-connection to the outside world! :) It would have been quite the frustrating experience if I hadn't had help with it, I'm sure...especially the communication factor with the shopkeepers in Tamil. I love the fact that I can receive calls and not be charged for them! (Hint, hint) ;-)

5 comments:

  1. You needed to just try a different shop.

    When I was in Raxaul I needed to get someone from the hospital to buy my SIM card for me.

    In Delhi I just went into a shop, they photocopied my drivers license and I was done. So much easier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first shop I went into wanted my passport.

    It was the second shop that was easier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In Delhi, i think they just copied my passport. That might have been because the guy that took me did some dealing with the phone guys. My problem was that they didn't take credit cards. So after we had everything all set I pulled out my card and then my friend had to take me to a bank to get cash out. But that sounds like a pretty normal phone buying experience.

    So the thing is that we still can't call you because you didn't post a phone number. i guess you didn't want to post it on the internet. Maybe you should e-mail us. HINT HINT!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok I feel better to know that you guys went through the same hassles. :)

    ReplyDelete