20 April 2005

Training...

Ok I'm finally starting to feel normal again. The previous night I only got a couple of hours of sleep...but then last night I finally slept through without waking up at 3 AM. I managed to sleep until my alarm went off-5:15 AM-and probably could have slept even later, which is pretty normal for me. :) Can you believe I have to be at work at 7AM? UGH! I'm still not a morning person...so it's good that things don't really start until 8:30 or so anyway...gives me time to have some coffee. :)

The training program has been...interesting. We've been studying phonetics...much more in depth than I ever thought about. I actually find it quite difficult to break down my sound patterns into phenomes and describe them (which I had to do this morning: How do you describe where you put your tongue to make the /r/ sound?) So, I'll have to practice quite a bit. I know it will make me a better tutor when (if? :) ) I get back to the states.

It's funny, though, our manager came in and started promising all these tours of the city and stuff to help acclimate us. It will be interesting to see if anything actually happens. Pretty much like managment back in the US I think. :)

All in all I'm pretty pleased with the training thus far. I'm just worried about being a "teacher" instead of being a "tutor".

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like the adventure is starting to happen for you. I am sure you'll work things out. It takes a while to get comfortable.

    India is the best though. I miss it lots.

    By the way I am a friend of Pete's. That's how I found your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephen,

    Yes, he is...but I believe his parents are looking for a girl for him. :)

    ~Lori

    PS is your email .com or .org?

    ReplyDelete