30 May 2005

I miss smoke-free NY!

Saturday was my first experience visiting the club scene here in Chennai. Before I came, many people told me that there weren't that many clubs here and the ones that were here weren't that good. (Chennai is generally thought of as pretty conservative.) However, most of the 5-star hotels here have at least one club. Liz, myself and a few of our co-workers went to visit Pasha at the Park hotel. It was actually very fun. When we first got there, it was pretty empty due to another club's opening gala across town, but as the night wore on, the dance floor became more & more crowded. The dance floor is on the bottom floor and on the balcony level there are couches and tables to sit back and watch the happenings downstairs. The music mix was pretty good-a mixture of hip hop and trance music-and people were crowding the floor the whole time. The only part I didn't like was that there are no smoking laws and everyone was smoking inside! Gasp! Choke! by the end of the night :) I miss NY's smoke-free bars & clubs...

Random funny experience: As we were sitting there, a photographer from the Deccan Chronicle took a picture of our group. "Let's take a picture of the white people enjoying!" Unfortunately, it isn't one of the ones they published. :)

2 comments:

  1. Well, it did get published in Deccan Chronicle on Monday...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah...I forgot to update...it was in the paper...hopefully I can scan it in and add it to the blog...

    ReplyDelete