10 August 2005

Just when I thought I'd begun to settle in...

...I woke up Saturday morning around 10 AM to find that the power was out. Judging from the temperature in my room (very hot!), I'm guessing it went off around 9 or so. Actually, it wasn't just hot, it was stifling. UGH! And, by 10 AM, I had only been asleep for about 4 hours, after getting home from work sometime around 5:30. Grumpily, I pulled the couch directly under the fan in the living room (it runs on the generator) and managed to doze on and off for the next couple of hours. *sigh*

By 4 PM I'd had enough of that (the couch isn't really that comfortable for sleeping!) and the power still wasn't back on. "That's it!" I decided, "I can't take this-I'm going to stay at a hotel." I felt a bit of pampering was in order to restore my world back to some balance. After calling around to a few hotels and on the recommendation of one of my friends, I chose the Quality Inn Aruna. Not a 5 star hotel, but with A/C, room service and more than just basic cable (Star Movies here I come!), I figured it met all of my needs. And, it even had a bathtub! I checked in and then went to dinner at a nearby restaurant.

When I got back from dinner, I asked the front desk for bubble bath and they said they would send some right up. Oh, heaven!!!! :) While I was waiting for them to deliver it, I turned on the TV to see what movies were available. Wait a minute-Star Movies is not at all clear!!! This is so not a good sign! A call down to the desk to see if they could do anything about it. "We'll send someone right up." "Ok. And don't forget about the bubble bath." "No problem."
10 minutes go by and no one comes. Another call to front desk. "Yes, yes, we're sending someone." I decided to start filling the tub. The person comes to tell me that they have no bubble bath and offers shampoo instead (so not the same). :( Then, I notice that the bottom of my pant leg is wet-on top of everything else, the bathtub is now leaking. Now, I'm demanding a new room. They offer me the one next door, but the first thing that I check out is the TV-no Star Movies at all and the rest of the English channels are fuzzy. *Sigh* At this point, I decide I just want to leave. It's already midnight and I need to get up for church the next morning. The power is back on at my apartment and I can at least watch VH1 there at no additional cost. After a minor discussion with the management, who wanted me to look at yet another room, I was on my way home. So much for pampering myself.

But, after all that, there's something to be said for falling asleep in your own bed. Or, maybe I was just too tired at that point to think about anything else-either way I slept wonderfully!

5 comments:

  1. Oh the damn heat! I don't know how people live here without a/c! To add to the adventure... I was going out as well - but to a friend's house to hang out before going to a club later in the evening. So I needed to shower and change so I'd feel at least slightly fresh. But, since the power was out, the water pump was also not working, and evidently the tank that supplys the water to my bathroom was empty... so I had the joy of carrying water from the kitchen and taking a candle light bucket bath :-) (not quite as romantic as taking a bath in a tub with a few candles for mood lighting) Oh how I love India :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :-)You both are hilarious.. I was totally cracking up. Lori do I still see a desi wannabe there.. :-D or have you had enough already..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lori,
    Very funny story. well told in a funny way, at least.

    When I was in TN they didn't have the English channels yet. Except for some cartoons and a travel channel. I watched some show about a guy that was getting advise on dating and picking up women (american show). I mostly just watched movies in tamil. I just made my own dialoge.

    Liz,
    In TN I stayed with a family that didn't have AC for a week. It wasn't that bad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rads, your such a rat !!! How could you find Lori's story funny. Poor thing I felt like she was suffering, the heat must have melted her. Lori I think you have to return from India, its not worth the pain.
    - Prit

    ReplyDelete
  5. she doesn't need to return. she just needs to find a better hotel to pamper herself at. Like say a Taj hotel.

    ReplyDelete