26 August 2005

Influence

Many times when I've felt that things here were out of control, I've found myself resorting to what I'm now calling "the Diva stage." "When exactly will it be finished?"; "How can you assure me that it won't happen again?"; "Why didn't you tell me this in the first place?" are questions that I find myself asking in vain attempts to reassert control over my surroundings. Most of the Indians around me usually tell me to just relax and everything will work out ok.

Therefore, I had to laugh when one of our friends who we hang out with a lot related his story of dealing with the car dealership here. He had given his car to the dealership to repair a dent in his hood. In the process they had to repaint it; however, when he went to pick it up, they had painted it a lighter color than the rest of car. The workmen claimed that there were many shades of 'satin gray'. My friend said, "That's why I gave it to you guys-I wanted it to match exactly. If I had wanted some variation, I would have given it to the shop down the street." They then said that would repaint it. I was so amazed when I heard his reply was, "How are you sure that this time you are going to get the right color of 'satin gray'?" It sounded so much like any phrase that I would have used in that situation. :)

4 comments:

  1. Is it a good or a bad influence? :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. So is the "Diva Stage" anything like a "princess moment"?
    Malinda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Princess moments don't result in questions, nor anything indicating concern over the process, or anything other than the end result.

    Diva:
    "When exactly will it be finished?"

    Princess:
    "I WANT IT NOW!!!!"

    -stephen

    ReplyDelete
  4. i think its a good influence, but in a bad place. What else can i say. For all you know the paint on my car's hood would peel off in a couple of weeks, only because i asked those questions.

    god save me and my car

    ReplyDelete