08 August 2005

Pondicherry

Yea! So I've been here 3 months now and I've finally made my first trip out of Chennai. (Well, I suppose I could count the trips to Mahabalipuram, but that's too close! :) ) Pondicherry is about 2 1/2 hours south of Chennai. It is noteworthy because it was originally a French colony and still retains some of the French influence there. (Malinda, when you come to visit, we'll have to take a trip there! :) ) It's not actually part of Tamil Nadu, but, along with a couple of other French colonies makes up a Union Territory. Pondicherry also famous for the Sri Aurobindo Ashram and nearby Auroville (the vision for international peace)-neither of which I visited on my trip. :)

I made the trip down with two of my co-workers-Raghu and Jeff (another American trainer). We conveniently took Raghu since he has family there and we could crash with them! :) Raghu's family lives in this traditional style family house-something that looks (to me!) like it would fit in at Dakshina Chitra (see my post on the same from April). There are two levels-with the family living on both, a big atrium-like place in the center, and a swing hanging from the ceiling on the lower floor. Staying with his family was nice-they stuffed us full with good South Indian food! The only bad part was the lack of A/C (can't imagine trying to A/C the house-too open air) and the mosquitoes that ate us alive! Oh, well, the price you pay for a vacation... :)

Like I said, I didn't visit either the ashram or Auroville-we just couldn't really seem to get our butts in gear in order to get there on time, but we did visit Sri Manakula Vinayager Temple, a temple dedicated to Ganesha (the elephant god). Jeff and I both tried to back away when the priest came around to put the ash blessing on our foreheads, but he very determinedly marked us anyway saying "Best of luck." I guess that's not too bad of a blessing. :)

Other than that, I spent most of my time shopping (much to Jeff's chagrin!) :) Yea! More salwars-and even I think they match! :) :) All in all it was a great trip and I hope to go back again soon!

4 comments:

  1. Hey the beach is supposed to be one of its kind coz it has rocks (than the conventional sand beaches that we are used too :)) the entire stretch is awesome!!!

    Well next time I think u should plan it in such a way that u hit the Auroville first then Pondi, ashram next day first thing, shopping, beach, get knocked out and start off some time in the after noon and get back to Chennai by evening :)) ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Charlie on how to plan it next time around :-) And I think I should be in on the next trip, too :-) Even though I've been to Pondy a couple times and enjoyed it, I haven't seen Auroville, either - or the temple you went to... But I have seen the beach and gone shopping :-) I think we need to plan another trip when both of us feel like getting out of town :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I forgot to add that, we went and saw the beach at night-and no cops bothered us!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We conveniently took Raghu since he has family there and we could crash with them! :)

    Hmm Hmm. CONVENIENTLY took me uh. Now I know.

    I think i should start training the mosquitoes in my house to suck more blood from u everytime you come there.

    But I am glad u had a good time.

    ReplyDelete