08 October 2005

Driving...

I was a little nervous about driving all the way up to Rochester alone, mainly because I've been watching cars drive on the opposite side of the road for six months now. Plus, I did experiment with driving once while I was in India. Actually, driving once while I was in India was one of my goals that I stated when I first got there. But, I did decide that I should wait and observe for at least three months before I attempted such a feat. One of my friends even offered to teach me...but he never came through on that offer!!!!

However, one night when we were leaving Fisherman's Cove another friend (Raghu) decided to let me try to drive his car (and no, this had nothing to do with the re-painting of his hood!). It was around 1 AM and it's a pretty deserted road between Fish Cove and ECR (East Coast Road.) I readily agreed! I was pretty happy because I didn't stall it out at all, even while shifting with the left hand and steering with the right! But I have to admit, the cows by the side of the road were a bit disconcerting!

Anyway, I think that I made the transition to driving in the US okay-the only problem is when I'm on an unlined road, I find myself drifting a bit to the wrong side. Hopefully I can correct that in the time that I'm here. :)

6 comments:

  1. Hey,make sure u drive back safely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lori, hope you have an enjoyable time back in the US. If you plan on driving any more in Rochester, just give us some advance warning :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey.. when you coming over to crossroads ??? :-) I'll be there Tue and Wed nights. Make sure you drop by.

    ReplyDelete
  4. lor
    I'll keep you in line when we're driving around rochester. I'll try not to yell.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How far is the drive to Rochester? I just drove about 4 hours from just north of Seattle, WA to south of Portland, OR, and I found myself doing the same thing. My dad let me borrow my old car (which I love to drive) to come down here, and I was on the freeway most of the time. But I found myself looking at some of the oncoming traffic and having to make myself remember that I was now in the US and we drive on the RIGHT side - so all those cars coming toward me on the left were in the appropriate lane :-) I've missed driving while in India, so it's nice to get out there and feel some freedom on comparatively empty and organized roads - even in "bad" traffic :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bharat!

    We were sorry to miss you! Good luck in Hydrabad...we definately need to plan a trip there to visit you soon! :)

    ReplyDelete