30 January 2006

Appearances

On Sunday morning, one of our friends had an emergency come up, so I ended up baby-sitting for her two boys-aged 9 and 2 1/2 for a bit. I called a friend of mind to ask for suggestions on where to go and he said he would take us somewhere to entertain them. I assumed that he would bring his car, so I was quite surprised when he showed up with just his bike (motorcycle). Let me take a minute here to explain that it is not uncommon in India to see whole families riding on the back of a bike-the parents and two or three small children all squeezed together, so I'm assuming that he didn't really think twice about planning it out that way. It was just a bit of a cultural clash for me because I never thought that I would end up crammed with two kids on the back of a bike. Even though I am jumping ahead in the story a bit, I should also point out here that my friend is a white American married to an Indian, and the kids reflect that.

We took the kids to a video game parlor which they seemed to enjoy. However, at a stoplight on the way home, I notice a guy on a bike ahead of us looking at me strangely. As we started to move, I realized that it was the youth leader from my church. :-0 Uh oh! Let's review the details to make sure everyone understands how bad this looks: First, I wasn't at church that morning due to the emergency. Second, I (a white American) am sitting with two kids (1/2 American, 1/2 Indian) and an Indian man on a bike, just like any Indian family. Third, I've professed to be single numerous times at the church. Additionally, I know that I'm not going to be at church the next week because I'll be out of town on vacation with Liz. I'm thinking that this doesn't look good at all. Will I ever be able to show my face again at the Madras Vineyard???

11 comments:

  1. I can just imagine the rumors that are circulating now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah, the indian gossip chain. they studied it for years to design routing algorithms for internet routers for speed and fault-tolerance.

    -The REAL Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey do u have pictures of u with two half american and half indian kids ;) ... I don't have to waste time imaging how ur kids will look in case you get married to some one in India ... :))) No hard feelings ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog is most aptly titled "Lori's India Adventure"

    ReplyDelete
  5. As usual you can be the woman of mystery. I mean, you were always appearing in the US with kids that weren't your own which made your personal "no kids" policy even more baffling to some. Now you can confuse people on two continents! ;)

    - Dorothy

    ReplyDelete
  6. i can't help but think it's sad that you think this man you saw on the road would automatically assume the worst.
    i can see your point, for sure.
    but isn't it possible that he wouldn't jump to the conclusion that you were living some sort of double life?

    although, if i were in your shoes, i would be thinking exactly as you are.

    so, i huess i'm left without a point.
    sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tiffany,

    I could try to think that...except that he called me about some church activity and said something like, "I saw you on the bike and it was thinking 'hmmm...what's this?' and then I though, 'no, wait let's not jump to conclusions'" Which means he was thinking something like that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lori,
    With your huge forehead and long pointy nose anyone can see you. I am surprised he even asked you something like that....It does not surprise me you were on a motorcycle with a man, girl you have been with every man I know (enough reason to be single huh ?).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous

    You have to visit India to meet handsome Indian men with chiselled nose and long forehead etc

    ReplyDelete
  10. Look on the bright side: it will be less of a shock to them when you eventually do marry an Indian man and have children.

    -The Real Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
  11. Venkatesh are you telling me that Lori looks more like an Indian man ? I have seen Indian men in the US. They are pretty nice looking....nice compliment to Lori !

    ReplyDelete