28 August 2006

Vettaiyadu Vilaiyadu

I went to see my first Tamil movie in the theater today. Now normally I don't go see Indian movies in the theater because, obviously, I'd either have to have someone translate (not fun for either one of us) or it would have to be subtitled (which I believe only happens in the US) or I would sit there only grasping a portion of what was going on on the screen. However, since many of my friends were going and one of my students (who saw the movie on it's opening night) told me that it had a lot of English dialogues since it was set in NYC, I decided to try it out. ..

First, let me tell you that the definition of "a lot of English dialogues" is completely relative. I should have known better. In fact, maybe 10 lines were completely in English (even the NYC scenes!), plus a couple of randomly-sprinkled English words in the midst of a Tamil dialogue. After discussing this with people afterwards, apparently that DOES constitute a lot of English for a Tamil movie-usually there is zero English! :)

Everyone, however, has been talking about this movie-I didn't want to be left out! And, I have been hearing the soundtrack (though I didn't know it!) blaring during many of my cab rides to and from work. The movie stars Kamal Hassan, one of the reigning legends of Tamil cinema. He plays a police officer searching for a serial killer (actually two), the pursuit of whom takes him around Tamil Nadu, to NYC, and back to Chennai.

My friends warned me that I was in for an experience, seeing a Tamil movie in the theaters. I understood why right from the beginning as people started clapping, cheering & whistling when Kamal Hassan appeared on the screen. It was reminiscent of my DaVinci Code experience (although I still think that crowd was just being obnoxious!) It died down, mostly, as people got absorbed into the movie.

All in all it was a fun experience and I did like the movie, despite some wacky upside down camera shots during some of the chase scenes. Southern movies seem a bit more realistic than their Bollywood relatives (though there are still the musical interludes in exotic locations!) Now all I have to do is learn Tamil so that I can enjoy them even more....

3 comments:

  1. Good to know you are planning to learn Tamil.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats, heard u are getting married...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You heard WHO is getting married?

    ReplyDelete