13 July 2005

My First Tamil Movie

Today I watched my first Tamil movie (with subtitles of course) called Minnale (means "lightening".) We decided to watch this one because, apparently, it is more like the Hindi movie format that I'm used to. [For the uninitiated, the basic Hindi movie plot line: Boy meets/falls in love with girl, boy can't have girl for caste/family/previous engagement issue, issue gets resolved (usually through some heroics), boy and girl live happily ever after. It will also include lots of singing and dancing (think 1940s Hollywood musical), a scene with the heroine in a wet saree, and no kissing (unless the couple is married). I love them! :) ]

Minnale did not disappoint. It was wonderfully sentimental ("true love will prevail over all obstacles"). Rajesh, the hero, falls in love with Reena but finds that she's engaged (through their families) to his college rival Rajiv (whom she hasn't met in many years since he has been working in America.) He impersonates Rajiv in order to win Reena's heart. Of course, when she finds out the truth, she wants to have nothing to do with Rajesh even though she has fallen in love with him (after spending 5 days with him.) Every thing gets sorted out in the end (of course!) and Rajiv gracefully bows out of the picture. [In a love triangle, the anti-hero is removed from the situation by either 1.) death; 2.) the discovery that he's really a villain; or, 3.) his stepping gracefully out of the way.]

As compared to a Hindi movie, this movie had less singing and dancing (averaging one song/half hour compared to one song every 15 minutes!) but it had many more choreographed fight scenes. The other thing I found interesting is that it never seemed to matter that Rajesh was Brahmin and Reena was Christian. [In most of the Hindi movies I've seen, something like that in itself would be the issue separating the loving couple (Veer-Zahra comes to mind, although they also had nationality issues.)] But here it wasn't even addressed? Is the South more open-minded regarding this issue?

In any case, I look forward to seeing more Tamil movies during my stay here...

[By the way, for those of you who were wondering about the title, he first saw and fell in love with the girl when he saw her dancing with some kids during a thunderstorm. It was like lightening! :) Although she was wearing a salwar kameez instead of a saree... :)]

12 comments:

  1. it seemed that interfaith marriages are becoming less of an issue in indian culture. it may be a function of becoming more secular and less religious. i could be wrong on that thouh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope your right pete but even then i dont think that would be enough to help me :) Radhika should post here :-D

    (hi lori!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. :-P High hopes Denis... Don't worry.. wait and see..you'll know soon.
    Wow.. Lori that's awesome. I have to get Denis to watch some too. After all it's my mother tongue..:-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. "you'll know soon"??? what am I missing out on here?? Do tell...

    Good luck getting him to watch the movies...Denis, one of my friends said that Southern movies (Kollywood) are more realistic than Hindi movies (Bollywood)-in case that helps! :)

    Hi to you too, by the way...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lori,
    I'm one of Radhika's friends, from Chennai, in exile (not ALL bad) at Harrisburg, PA at the moment. Came across your blog while looking at hers, and it caught my eye cos' well India was mentioned :P

    Its really interesting and fun, seeing familiar places through the eyes of an American and your interpretations of them. Therefore my comment......Keep up the good work! Keeps me busy while I'm at work :)

    Cheers,
    Prithiv

    (oh and Radhika's beer drinking by the side of the road on ECR.......I could tell you a bit more about that.....hell I could tell you soooo much more!!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lori the meaning is not Lightening... it means Lightning

    The Hero of the movie is struck by Lightning(the Lady Actor)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm... it's scary that Indians speak better English than most Americans.
    Denis, can you say gynaecological.. :) lol (inside joke)

    Nalin

    ReplyDelete
  8. :-P British English vs. American English will be an ongoing debate for quite some time. "Better" is a relative term in this case. :)

    Most people have commented that my grammar has worsened since I've been here... :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Most people have commented that my grammar has worsened since I've been here... :)


    are they american? :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. ":-P British English vs. American English"



    Ok..lightening as in "lightening a load" as in making less heavy.

    Lightning= flashes in the syk a'la zeus and thunderbolts and lightning.

    Nalin
    (dammit.. I can't remember my password, can't log in.. grr)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, Prithiv, they are Americans... :)

    And, ok, Nalin, I meant lightning, I just spelled it wrong... :-P

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Lori.. I a Mani, Liz's friend from Bangalore.
    Its interesing to see that you mentioned that south Indian movies are closer to reality than Hindi. What you heard might be true if you take Malayalm movies or Tamil movies directed by a handful of directors (e.g Mani Ratnam). If you compare Tamil/Telugu or Kannada movies to Hindi movies, they are more or less similar. There are a few differences though

    Telugu Movies have a lot of Color: U can see blu, green, Pink smoke when a bomb explodes!

    Tamil/Telegu movies have a lot of over the top fight scenes/Stunts:
    E.g. the Hero chasing a bullet before it kills his mother, wife etc.
    Hindi movies would love to include these as well, but the song/stuntmen/ technicians in Bollywood are a bit behind when it comes to fight scenes.

    Story wise Kollywood/Bollywood are the same. You will always get the odd film that is a bit different.

    However I would encourage you to see a Tamil movies in a Movie theater at least once.
    More than the movie its the audien e participation thats entertaining.

    The audience throws papper bits (to simulate confetti) or coins (Only for rajnikant) to simulate "It's raining money!"
    If its a hit movie with hit songs, many of them would start dancing!
    Please tell Liz I said hello.
    --Mani

    ReplyDelete