07 July 2005

Nothing says India like kitsch :)

As I was driving to work tonight, my driver's dashboard was lit up by a figurine of the Virgin Mary in flashing red and green lights. I mention this because it is only too common here in India to see figurines of various faiths flashing brightly from passing cars and because, now that I travel alone to work, I have time to reflect on these topics. :) Actually, it seems to me, decking out your car (especially with some sort of lights) is much more prevalent here than back in the States-though I am sure that the frequency varies culturally and/or regionally there.

Anyway, this guy has been our driver for about a month now and, as yet, I haven't discovered a pattern as to when the figurine gets turned on: is it when the traffic is heavier? when he's sleepier and needs it to stay awake? or, when he decides to pull out into oncoming bike traffic (as in what happened tonight!)? [Let me tell you, I found it comforting to focus on it at that point in time-and I'm not even Catholic!] :)

I think my sense of humor is starting to come back... :) Random thoughts are a good start!

No comments:

Post a Comment