21 March 2006

Holi

One of the festivals that I was really looking forward to seeing here in India was Holi...I mean is there a comparable festival/holiday in the US where you are allowed (encouraged even) to smear colors all over everyone? It always seemed like it would be one big party day. For more information and pictures, check out The Colors of India) I was disappointed, however, to find out that here in Chennai, it is not celebrated very much. It is much more of a North Indian festival and the community here (at least in my area is very small.) Actually, all over India, many of the politicians were encouraging people not to play holi at all. Apparently, in past years, there have been many unsavory incidents due to the free intermingling of the sexes for this holiday. I don't know, the images of the festival still intrigue me. I think if I'm here next year, I'll have to go North to see it played properly.

1 comment:

  1. i was in delhi last year for holi. there wasn't church that sunday because nobody wanted to go out during the day. it didn't last all day, just till the evening. there were all these ads in the paper and on tv about being nice and not painting people's cars and stuff. it was fun to see it all though.

    ReplyDelete