08 June 2005

Idhu Romebo Karam

"This is too spicy"...for all the non-Tamil speakers. :)

I'm learning Tamil as necessity dictates. :) Today, our cook made the spiciest thing that I've eaten thus far-some shrimp curry thing. Whew! It was too hot! Just eating a plate full made my eyes water and my nose run. Liz was blowing her nose and panting as well. :) Yikes!

Luckily, our cook realized (She doesn't speak enough English for us to actually tell her.) that something was wrong and started apologizing and picking out the shrimp for us to eat apart from the sauce. I think that she's been slowly increasing the spice level in our food each day, but our attempt to tell her that we were approaching our limit was unsuccessful. (Thanks, Raghu!) :)

It's too bad because what I could taste of it, before my taste buds were fried, was really good! I could write something disparing about how I think I'll never adjust to Indian culture and the spiciness of the food, but I know that it was even spicy by Indian standards. (Thanks to the two who tried out some of her cooking and declared it spicy!) This makes me feel better-that I'm not just the white girl who can't handle spices! :) :)

1 comment: