14 June 2005

Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants

So I went to buy a new pair of jeans here in India. Let me first say that I'd have to rank buying new jeans (in general, not only in India) right up there with buying a new swimsuit or buying new bras-two of my least favorite experiences of being a woman. *sigh* Am I alone in this?

In the US, I had a system: walk into Old Navy; pick out the low-rise, boot cut jeans in whatever color I liked; buy them and walk out of the store without having to go through the pain of trying them on. However, I didn't plan well enough before I left and I ended up in India with only two pairs of jeans. One quickly developed a hole in the butt and the other a hole in the knee, which perpetuated the need for the jeans shopping trip. Unfortunately, there is nowhere to buy Old Navy brand jeans, so I knew from the beginning that I would have to try on at least a few pairs to find a style I could live with. I hardly knew where to start-Pepe Jeans, Levis, Lee, Wranglers (do they still sell these in the US?) ACK! I have no idea what will fit properly! Then, to make matters worse, it isn't based on a numerical size like in the US, but on your waist size. Luckily I got measured for my bridesmaid's dress recently or else I would have no clue where to begin. :) Of course I couldn't find anything that I liked at the first store we stopped at, but finally at the second one I found a pair in a color I liked that fit well...except for the length of the pants. BUT-TII (This Is India) [I think this might be the first time I'm saying it without an accompanying sigh and exasperated shake of the head!] Here you can get things altered to fit you perfectly! Tada-the search is over! For at least one night... :)

4 comments:

  1. That's cool. I only got one thing tailored in India. A shirt which was made for 150Rs overnight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey check out 'lifestyle'. They have all possible brands and real cool stuff..:-) BTW I think US size 4 should be ard 28 out there..Enjoy. Glad you're having a good time(Ahem!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS: I like Pepe and Wranglers.. They have mostly only European brands in India..:-)
    BTW you're better off buying branded jeans out there. Don't go for the cheaper ones you find on the roadside markets. They don't last.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the info and tips...I did end up getting them at globus this time. I think I'd go back there again too..

    ReplyDelete